So, you’ve learned about a new feature that will permit you to unlock your iPhone while you’re wearing a mask, and you would like it. (Who could blame you?) The fantastic news is that you can access it with a public beta that’s now available. The bad news is you’ll need to jump through a few hoops until you’re able to utilize it. You will also need an Apple Watch, and your smartwatch will need to be on your wrist, unlocked, and password-protected. Oh, and billed.Got that? Great. The first thing you are going to need to do is to download the latest public beta upgrades for your watch in addition to your iPhone, so iOS 14.5 and watchOS 7.4. (Make sure that your devices are backed up just in case anything weird happens during the procedure.)
You’ll also be prompted to provide your Apple ID password, so have that with you.
How to install iOS 14.5 beta version
- Head to beta.apple.com in Safari on your iPhone.
- Choose to Get Started.
- From that page, you will be able to select which of those public beta programs you are interested in downloading. Select the iOS tab and scroll down to where it says enroll your iOS apparatus and select this option.
- Next, scroll down and click on the blue Download profile button.
- You’ll then see a set of prompts to set up the people beta profile.
- As soon as you finish this procedure, visit Settings, click on General, and then click on Software Update.
- This is where you ought to now see a choice to Download the iOS 14.5 public beta.
- Follow the directions for installing the update, sip water, and then prepare to put in your watch update.
Watch Update to watchOS 7.4
Remember your watch will need its charger and will need at least 50 percent battery life.
- From that same beta landing page in Safari, click Get Started and select the watchOS alternative from the menu.
- Once your watch is connected to its charger and at least halfway charged, browse in the Watch app to General, then Software Update, and then choose to Install underneath the watchOS 7.4 public beta description.
- The beta version in your Watch will be installed.
Once the people beta profiles are installed on your watch as well as your iPhone, you need to enable the feature which allows your phone to be unlocked while still wearing a mask. Toggle this attribute on. Your Apple Watch should now buzz as it’s unlocking your cellphone when you’re wearing a mask, and the watch will display an option to re-lock your iPhone too. And that is it, you are done! It may have taken a minute to set up, but ideally, you will be free from having to yank on your own mask or enter your passcode every time you want to unlock your cellphone moving forward.